Ok, we are officially doing multiple spins now. The challenge just got real. Yes the pirouettes were hard, but lets be honest, this is what we are really trying to get good at because these are the spins we actually use the most. Double spins are nothing to scoff at, they are hard and they take time to learn and even more time to feel confidence and consistency with them. So, just like with everything we have been doing here, do what you can, don’t get frustrated and push yourself to do your best.
I don’t want you to think you have to change anything from yesterday’s single spin. The technique is absolutely the same. The main difference is you are spotting twice and holding your balance a little bit longer before you slow yourself down and stop the turn. Try not to add any more power than you did with the single turn and see how far you can get around just by the mere fact that you aren’t stopping yourself after the first turn. I bet you will make it pretty far. The purpose for that is to really challenge your balance and train your control. We can get away with a lot of bad technique when we speed through things, so go slow.
- Take your time, and also count out what you are doing.
- Keep you feet turned out.
- Do not add more power than you need. In fact, add less because your spot will give you a jolt of power in the middle of your turns.
- Keep your head up, your spot level, your abs, butt and inner thighs engaged, and your feet working hard the whole time.
- Keep your balance centered over the back leg in your preps, this is the one you want to try to spin on the whole time, while the other foot snaps together and drags gently on the floor.
When you are ready to stop, use the weightless foot to apply some pressure to the ground and even begin gently dragging the heel of your weighted foot on the ground. Once you have slowed down enough, you can transfer your weight to the opposite foot to either step your basic or get into another prep.
Good luck. If you really feel that you can’t do the doubles, then continue working on your singles. That is super important because I want you training well. If you train well you will be more prepared for the more difficult stuff later.
Shoes are @burjushoes “Trionyx”